Tofu Cacciatore



I love making tofu dishes when Jon isn't home. Tonight I planned on making tofu cacciatore, but then Jon got on an earlier flight home...what to do? I still made it, and just made him some shrimp on the side!

A few months ago I made
Chicken Cacciatore. Tonight's recipe is an adaptation of that recipe, minus the chicken, plus the tofu.

Ingredients

  • 1 package tofu, pressed and cut into cubes
  • Spices (I probably used an even amount of each): black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, paprika
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 c each chopped red and green pepper; I had a tiny bit of yellow pepper left too so I added it
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 14 oz can tomatoes with juice, chopped (I used a can of crushed tomatoes with basil)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 c dry white wine
  • 1/2 c chicken broth
  • Bay leaf

Directions

  • Once tofu has been pressed and cubed, sprinkle all sides with the spices. Heat olive oil in a medium non-stick pan. Add tofu and cook on all sides until brown and crispy, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
  • Heat olive oil in a separate large saute pan
  • Add onions, garlic, and peppers; saute 3 minutes
  • Add white wine, simmer until reduced by half
  • Add tomatoes, juice, and broth; bring to a boil
  • Add bay leaf, a touch of oregano, and a touch of dried thyme. Cover most of the way and let simmer for 30 minutes. Optional: add cooked tofu to the pan for the last 10 minutes. I would have done this if Jon wasn't home and the sauce was all for me...
  • Remove bay leave and serve tofu and sauce over pasta. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.

Here is how the tofu should look once browned:

I cooked up some shrimp for Jon since he doesn't each tofu. I sauteed garlic in olive oil and then added shrimp that had been tossed in paprika. I wanted to add oregano and thyme, but they aren't his favorite flavors.

The sauce has a different flavor than when cooked with chicken, but was still really good. This was a great way to prepare tofu.


Bài đăng phổ biến