Recipe Swap: Philly Fluff Cake


 
 It's Blogger's Choice time again - my favorite Recipe Swap hosted by A Taste of Home Cooking. I was given a blog that I'm very familiar with, I Was Born to Cook, so I knew I'd have a hard time deciding. Melissa, the blog's author, has a ton of great recipes, from apps, pasta, and main dishes to a huge index of sweets.
 
Once again, I chose to bake something for the Swap. My friend's birthday was last weekend, and I was going to be cooking dinner for her, so I thought baking a cake would be a nice surprise, especially since my friend is always the one doing the baking! Unfortunately we had to change her plans and we couldn't get together, but I still made the cake in her honor.
I looked through the list of sweets on Melissa's blog, and what a list it is! It was so hard to choose, but then I saw a cake that I had never heard of - a Philly Fluff Cake. It looked delicious, sounded like something I could handle, and I already had most of the ingredients on hand.  
 
My favorite thing about this cake was the layer of swirled chocolate. It looked so pretty when I cut into the cake, and it added another level of sweetness to an already delicious cake.

One note on the recipe and a little mistake I made - I bought a block of cream cheese, but when I started to get my ingredients together I realized the recipe called for 10 oz of cream cheese, and a block is only 8 oz. I went ahead with it anyway, and the cake was still incredibly moist and delicious. I can only imagine that it would just be better with the correct amount of cream cheese.


Jon, our daughter, my parents, and a few people at work ate this cake and loved it! (Jenny, I'm sorry you missed it but I will make it for you another time!!) I'm so happy that I was able to bake a delicious cake from scratch, and that I now have a cake that I can make for parties and holidays (I know, I know, it's not that hard, but baking hasn't been my thing!). My recent successes are even making me think about investing in a Kitchen Aid Mixer!


Just one more picture before I share the recipe. I was taking pictures when all of the sudden I saw a little hand reaching for the slice of cake. I caught her!!!



Philly Fluff Cake
Source: I Was Born to Cook

Ingredients
  • 10 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
  • 2 cups AP flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups sugar, divided
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
  • Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Butter and flour a bundt pan.
  • Beat cream cheese, butter and shortening together until light and fluffy.
  • Add flour, baking powder and salt. Beat on low until combined. Batter will be thick.
  • Gradually add 1 cup sugar and eggs, one at a time, beating completely between each one.
  • Add vanilla and remaining sugar. Continue beating until batter is smooth, scraping sides of bowl a few times.
  • Pour half the mixture into prepared pan.
  • Add chocolate and swirl the batter with a knife to spread chocolate through.
  • Top with remaining batter and bake for about 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out of center clean.
  • Cool for about 15 minutes then invert carefully onto cake platter to cool completely. Before serving, sprinkle with a generous amount of confectioners’ sugar.

 photo marysig_zps976fc4b2.png
Image Map
 
Check out the other recipes that were part of this Blogger's Choice Recipe Swap:  
 




Bài đăng phổ biến