Ricotta and Spinach Tortelloni in a Garlic Cream Sauce



Fall is here and my travel schedule is crazy. I'm traveling 1-4 days every week through the beginning of December. I don't mind the travel or being busy (busy is good!), but I do miss cooking when I'm away. One can only take so much room service and restaurant food!

So my goal is to make something new every Sunday - I promise to have at least one blog update a week!

Yesterday I was in the mood for pasta, and didn't want to just use the stuff out of the box. I found
this recipe on the Epicurious web site. I followed the pasta instructions, but did not make the sauce in the recipe.

Ingredients

  • 1 10-ounce package spinach leaves, stems trimmed
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • Ground nutmeg
  • 24 square wonton wrappers
  • I added 3 cloves garlic, and a pinch each of salt and pepper

Directions

  • Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute.
  • Add spinach; cook until most of liquid evaporates, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Drain and cool. Squeeze out liquid.
  • Place spinach in processor. (I chopped the spinach myself and just mixed the ingredients instead of using my food processor)
  • Add ricotta and blend well.
  • Blend in 1/2 cup Parmesan.
  • Season filling to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper.

To assemble the pasta:

  • Step 1: Place 1 wonton wrapper on work surface. Brush edges with water. Place 1 scant tablespoon filling on 1 half. Fold diagonally in half, forming triangle. Press edges to seal.

  • Step 2: Overlap 2 ends together; press to adhere.

After the second step this is what I ended up with and it didn't look right to me:

So with the next few wrappers I tucked the top down and squished them a bit. I don't think this is how they are supposed to look, but I thought they were cute and it worked for me!

  • Repeat with remaining wrappers, water and filling. Place in single layer on floured baking sheet. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover with plastic; chill.)
  • Working in batches, cook tortelloni in pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to bowls.

Note: be sure to keep a damp rag on top of the wonton wrappers that are waiting to be used otherwise they get dried out and hard very quickly.

As I took the pasta out of the boiling water, I drizzled them with a touch of olive oil so they wouldn't stick. I was very impressed with how they looked after cooking -

I made a simple cream sauce -

  • Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan
  • Add 2 cloves minced garlic and 1/2 chopped shallot; saute 2-3 min
  • Add 1 c light cream, 1 tsp red pepper flakes, 2 tsp dried parsley, pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a steady simmer for 5 minutes.
  • Whisk in cheese; I used an Italian blend of pecorino romano, parmesan, asiago, and fontina.
  • Stir until creamy; keep warm over low heat stirring occasionally.

I was very happy with both the pasta and the sauce. Although the assembly process was a lot of work, it was fun and I love doing something on Sundays that I wouldn't normally do on a weekday. I'd recommend this recipe, and using wonton wrappers for pasta is so easy. Someday I'll make my own pasta dough, but for now wonton wrappers work just fine.

Bài đăng phổ biến