Fish in a lemon-wine sauce; Potato-artichoke pancakes


As I've said before, I don't like seafood. I have tried almost everything, and still try whatever Jon orders at restaurants, but really don't like it. However, I don't mind catfish and trout because they are freshwater fish and don't have that typical seafood flavor.

Jon was away all week so I decided to cook him some fish when he got home last night. Because I need to hide the taste of the fish a bit, I decided to cook it similarly to how I cook
chicken piccata.

Ingredients

  • 2 fish filets
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp shallots, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
  • 1/4 cup wine
  • Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth (probably a little less, if any at all)
  • Optional: capers
  • Salt and pepper

Directions

  • Heat olive oil and 1 tbsp butter in a large pan over high heat.
  • Season fish with salt and pepper, and then dredge in flour, shaking off any excess.
  • Once the pan is very hot, add the fish and cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan.
  • Lower the heat to medium-high, and to the pan, add garlic and shallots. Saute for 1-2 min.
  • Add the wine and let it cook for about 2 minutes.
  • Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, and capers.
  • Return fish to the pan and simmer about 4-5 minutes. At the end, whisk in 1 tablespoon of butter and top with parsley.

I really liked the flavor of the sauce, and I was able to eat a lot of the fish. Jon also liked the sauce, but thought the fish got a little too soft in the sauce, but still enjoyed it.

I made potato-artichoke pancakes as a way to try to get Jon to enjoy potatoes. It worked - he ate two!

Ingredients (amounts are estimates - I kept working with ingredients until the mixture felt right)

  • 2 large baking potatoes, peeled, grated, and with all of the water pressed out (don't peel/grate until you are ready to start cooking as the potatoes will turn brown)
  • 1/2 can artichokes, drained and finely chopped
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 clove garlic, pressed
  • 1 tbsp shallots, chopped
  • 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 1-2 tbsp parsley for color (I think some spinach would be great, too)
  • Salt, pepper, oregano
  • Olive oil - enough to coat a pan by about 1/4 inch

Directions

  • Mix all ingredients in this order - potatoes, artichokes, garlic, shallots, spices, egg, parsley, breadcrumbs, cheese (I added 1 egg, then the breadcrumbs and cheese, then decided to add a second egg).
  • Heat olive oil in a pan over high heat
  • Form mixture into round patties about 2 1/2 - 3 inches in diameter
  • Drop patties into the oil and cook for about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
  • Remove from pan onto a paper towel before serving

These were really good and if I didn't already have the lemon sauce for the fish, I would have liked some sort of creamy dipping sauce for them. I can't believe Jon ate 2!



Bài đăng phổ biến